How many of us are aware that there is an International Day of Families?
Isn’t it amazing to know that the UN has declared a day to create awareness on issues relating to this most important social institution!
15th May is observed as International Day of Families every year. Each year a theme is also announced for this day. The theme for 2022 is “Families and Urbanization”.
Why is family important?
If we close our eyes and recall our childhood days, for most of us, the memories would revolve around our family. A family is the first safe haven for a child and provides the much-needed love and support. It also teaches us values and plays a role in shaping our attitude towards various issues in life. An ideal family environment gives all members the opportunity to develop to their full potential.
However, there may be times when we may not feel valued or loved by our families. Is there something we can do to nurture healthy relationships with our kinsfolk?
Building good relationships in the family
To build stronger ties with our family members, we have to make consistent efforts and work on our relationships. Mutual respect and love are the key ingredients to good relationships in a family. Here are some ways which can help to strengthen our bonds.
- Have Meals Together- Remember the age-old saying, ‘A family that eats together, stays together’. Nowadays, most of us have hectic schedules. To make the effort and take out time to have as many meals with our family members can go a long way in developing our relations.
- Spend Quality Time with Family- We can plan many interesting activities with our family, like cooking a meal together on weekends, playing indoor or outdoor games or watching movies with them, to name a few.
- Gadgets are taking up too much space in our life, both mental and physical. Decide upon a digital fasting time when no family member uses any device and utilize that time for family bonding.
- Mark digital-free zones such as bedroom, dining table, kitchen, bathroom, and motorized vehicles where no family member uses a gadget.
- All of us like to feel significant and valued. Engaging children in household activities helps them to feel significant and to learn essential life skills.
- Sharing interesting anecdotes and stories by parents and grandparents makes children aware of family values and helps them develop an understanding of earlier times. I have often observed family members bonding over such stories in family get-togethers.
- Keep channels of communication open. Active listening and a non-judgmental attitude are the essentials for good communication.
- Conflict Resolution Skills- Conflicts are a part of any healthy relationship. If conflicts are mismanaged, they can cause a lot of harm to our relationships. However, if conflicts are resolved in a healthy manner, it can help in growth and strengthening of relationships. Hence, learning conflict resolution skills becomes important for families.
- Understanding the primary love language of our family members and expressing love in that way makes them feel loved and appreciated. Dr. Gary Chapman, Ph.D., best-selling author of many books including, ‘The Five Love Languages’, has identified 5 basic love languages. Each person has a primary love language and feels loved when it is expressed that way. Recognizing our own love language and that of our loved ones can build stronger bonds.
A loving and supportive family is a true blessing. Share with us some of your happy moments with your family.
Image Source: Canva
Thank you for sharing such an amazing article. My family helps me to feel secure, it provides me support, security and love.
Very nice Alka👍
I really agree with the things you wrote. Few years back there are no gagets, I spend a beautiful and quality time with my family. The binding between us are unforgotable. I miss those days. Now I want to give such a pleasure feeling to my son. It gives respect ful environment in family with love and caring.
Good evening Ma’am, what a thoughtful write up! When you have the support of your family, you evolve as an individual. Yes , I agree love has to be expressed to our near ones as we restrict ourselves from doing so , thinking they will understand. Eagerly waiting for your next blog. Keep enlightening all of us with your words.
Thank you for sharing this beautiful article
Very well written Alka.You have suggested simple yet effective ways for families to stay connected.A must read for all age groups.
Thankyou for sharing such a beautiful thought mA’am
I guess family members are the only one who remain with you through out your life and it’s important to stay connected with them to make life more beautiful . This is a must read for all the family members .
Wow International Family Day.. interesting and informative..
Yes indeed in times like today we really need to keep aside our gadgets and actually spend some quality time face to face.
Brilliant piece ma’am will surely help a lot of families, I for my family have mandatory family dinner. Post dinner we have a 40 minute share the day activity. We also believe in the family that prays together stays together. Excellent article ma’am will share with friends and family.
These tips sound so helpful. I already engage in some of these activities with my family but I will try the others too. Thank you for this article!
Good Afternoon maam,family is the best thing you could ever wish .They are there for you during the ups and downs and love you no matter what.Thank you maam for sharing beautiful quote.
I feel that lockdown bought me and my family close together more than ever. Thank you for sharing all the beautiful times I have spent with my family just came flashing back while reading the blog. It was really beautiful 🥰
Very true ma’am. Mutual respect and love are the key ingredients to good relationships in a family. Thanks for sharing.
With this busy schedule its very difficult to spent much time but yes spending quality time is important. I always try to spend maximum time with my family after office, like having dinner together and have open discussions at the same time. Also we play some board games before going to bed. so this way I spend good and beautiful time with my family.
Family time is priceless …. Thanks for sharing this beautiful , well written blog.